Job Posting: Compost Site Operator and Truck Driver
As of July 12, 2020, Schmelly’s is hiring for the position of Compost Site Operator/Truck Driver.
Location: Orleans, Jefferson and St Bernard Parishes, Louisiana
Schmelly’s Dirt Farm is an organics recycling company that produces high-quality compost and soil products for regional farmers & gardeners. Since 2014 we have composted over 5 million pounds of organic material.
Schmelly’s mission is to transform New Orleans’ food scraps into healthy soil while fostering meaningful, uplifting, living-wage jobs. Our vision is to work together to examine and dismantle social constructs of oppression such as racism, patriarchy, and the gender binary by building the capacity of co-workers to communicate across differences through professional development opportunities.
This is a multi-purpose, four seasons position that will require willingness to show up ready to accomplish any task needed to keep our operations running smoothly. The ideal candidate is versatile, has an attention to detail, learns quickly, and is an ally to co-workers.
Site Operator work:
Maintain a safe and efficient compost site through best management practices. You must be familiar with and able to operate skid steers, wheel loaders, hydraulic equipment, trailers, and dump trucks in a safe and effective manner and also be able to self-perform preventative maintenance and troubleshoot minor issues with the operating equipment. The routine work of managing compost site operations includes receiving food scraps, wood mulch, logs, yard trimmings, and other organic material, maintaining aerated turned compost windrows, fulfilling customer orders onsite or via delivery, and packaging bagged products. Job includes regular equipment maintenance, problem solving, and customer service.
Compost Collection & Delivery Driving work:
Operate safely and efficiently a light-duty or medium-duty hooklift truck with compost collection body and other equipment as needed, driving a set route daily. Driver services customer dumpsters, bins and containers in the greater New Orleans area, and unload organic material at our facilities. Driver will most often work with a non-driving co-worker who will assist in route collections, loading & unloading, and assist in safe work operations. Driver is expected to mentor co-workers in the job and help train in safety and basic equipment operation.
This is a physically demanding job that requires heavy lifting, working early mornings and in all weather conditions, exposure to dirt, dust and smelly material. Looking for someone who will get the job done safely & efficiently even in strenuous circumstances, maintaining good communication with the team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Safely operate company equipment and related tools
- Arrive to work on time and ensure all daily assigned work is completed on schedule
- Document work performed, prepare records and reports
- Operate company vehicle to travel to various facilities and locations
- Safely drive company vehicles in all seasons, all weather conditions, heavy traffic, and tight streets such as the French Quarter
- Perform pre-trip inspections and complete log before operating vehicles.
- Routinely inspect safe operating condition of equipment
- Fuel and clean vehicles and equipment
- Clean up/janitorial tasks throughout the facility
- Report the need for facility repairs and maintenance
- Basic repairs and maintenance of equipment
- Assist mechanics in the repair and maintenance of equipment
- Shovel materials as required
- Emptying customer dumpsters and bins (organics, food scraps, recycling)
- Delivery of material to the facility for processing
- Maintaining daily customer billing computer or paperwork
- Maintaining dumpsters and bins and make replacement recommendations
- Checking containers for contamination
- Logging container weight and quantity
- Respond to emergencies as necessary
- May be required to train for fire response; may be required to respond to fires
- Other duties as required
- Willing and prepared to work outdoors in all elements (rain, heat, cold, etc.)
- Skid steer operation; Wheel loader experience a plus
- Able to operate manual transmission vehicles
- Experience operating medium-duty trucks (class 5, 10k-26k GVW)
- Experience operating hooklift or dumspter truck and heavy-duty truck (class 6-7) a plus
- Able to perform entry-level work in the repair and maintenance of vehicles & equipment
- Familiar with hand and power tools, air compressors, generators, and small motors
- Able to roll 250lb trash cans and lift 50-100lbs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Dependable, self-motivated and ability to work without supervision
- Committed to communicating regularly and constructively with team members
- Ability to interact with customers and the public in a professional, courteous manner
- Use professional phone etiquette
- Flexible work schedule due to seasonal demands
- Able to act as a mentor & trainer to co-workers or a willingness to learn these skills
- Ability to practice constructive listening and be present for the job and for coworkers
- Basic understanding of soil science, microbiology, plant health
- Experience in the agriculture, food service, or solid waste industry.
- Clean CDL Class B
- Valid DOT Medical card
- Understand and follow all OSHA requirements including wearing PPE: vests, masks, gloves
- Utilize proper lifting techniques
- Familiarity with local streets, highways, and neighborhoods
- Basic smartphone and computer knowledge. We regularly use Slack and Google Docs. Computer-aided routing systems experience a plus
- 21 years of age
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
- Able to pass a pre-employment drug screen, health exam, background, and motor vehicle record checks
- Currently hold a valid DOT Medical Card or can obtain prior to hire
- Required at time of interview: Current copy of your DMV driving record/abstract
- No more than one moving violation or accident.
- No Suspensions or revocations due to a moving violation or accident.
- No DUIs
Starting pay $16-18/hour depending on experience with opportunities for growth.
This is a part to full-time position, 30-40 hrs/wk. Work days may include Saturday and Sunday.
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter, resume, and at least 2 references to nicola(at)schmellys.com
Schmelly’s, L3C is a non-smoking, drug and alcohol-free workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer.